Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Look Back at a Magnificent Journey

In 2008 I took a journey to a land known as Moldova. It is a country not very well-known, and its inhabitants are among the poorest in Europe. Around every turn I was met with sights unseen by my eyes before, and never seen since. The purpose of this trip was to document a place called Stella's House, a ministry which has accomplished so much in the years since. Feel free to check them out at www.stellasvoice.org. The work taking place in Moldova in the name of Jesus is astounding. And these people and their love for Jesus and orphans have forever captured my heart.

I spent my weekend wandering through my 1,000+ photos from my trip, remembering each moment as best I could. Trying to remember the stories behind the places, only wishing I could return for another look. I wanted to revisit them because this trip impacted my life so much, that sometimes you need to go back and remember those things that changed your life.

I was only 18 when these photos were taken. Looking back I really had so much to learn about photography, composition and post-processing but I am also so proud of the photos that have come out of this process. The 18-year-old me did pretty good, and it made me want to continue my journey with photographs, a talent that I often want to give up on. My editing style has changed drastically in four years, and I felt compelled to revisit these photos to help tell a story. As most of my readers are probably friends with me on Facebook, I will redirect you to my photo albums for a broad look at my trip. The photos I am about to share are simply to show a glimpse of the type of world the people of Moldova inhabit. It is riddled with beauty yet strewn with remnants of a once promising yet fallen empire.

The property market in Moldova is certainly interesting. Whoever owns the land builds the shell of a house, like this one, then sells it and that person finishes it out. There are shells like this all over the place.


At a market in the middle of Chisinau, Moldova.


At that same market. Prices for clothing in Moldova are very expensive, due to their poor economy. I loved these shoes and the way they were displayed.


Being in such a strange land, it was a welcomed albiet out of place sight to see a picture that is so iconic of western America.


Bags hanging at a merchant's booth.


I have looked through my photos from Moldova many times, but had never noticed this awesome photo. I love her face, and the fact that she's petting a kitty just makes her look devious.


Yes, this is a puppy drinking beer.


We walked into an antique shop, full of old Soviet medals and helmets.


Only in the former Soviet Union...


Vio holding a helmet from WWII.


We went to some villages to meet with the families of some of the girls in the orphanage. Many of them have family, but their life at home is much worse than living in an orphanage.


A chicken on a pile of wood outside of one of the houses.


I honestly couldn't tell you if this was a house or a barn.


In the house of one of the girls, Dimi. We walked in and an old man (I can't remember if it was her father or grandfather) was doing laundry. This house was very bare. Hardly a roof and floor, with holes in the walls. I couldn't imagine living there in the winter. Last summer the girls and boys from Stella's Voice helped remodel this house.


This is one of my favorite shots from the whole trip. I spotted this family unit walking toward us from a while off. We said hello and were completely ignored by the mother and grandmother, but I will always remember how the child was so curious as to what we were up to.


A shot of a garden in the country.


I honestly do not remember where this was taken. But those are grapevines, and they make some fab-u-lous juice out of it! 


This was such a emotional moment. Constantia, one of the first girls of Stella's House, went to visit her mother. There is such a heart-retching story between Constantia and her mother, but praise God for grace and forgiveness.


We visited a shell of a house, and walked up to the third floor. All of these steps are hand made by artisans, they don't use molds. Taking this picture was probably the scariest moment of my life. They had no rails anywhere and I was hanging off of a ledge.


This was the view from the third floor of the shell house. I honestly think I have never witnessed a more beautiful country.


Another view of the country. I miss it so!


We visited the biggest orphanage in Moldova, where many of the girls in Stella's House are from. This is the ceiling in the lobby. There have been many improvements made to the facilities over the years, but it is still not the best place in the world.


These are the showers in the orphanage. They are in a separate building, one which the orphans must walk to even in the snow, and the water reeked of sulfur.


In one of the rooms of the orphanage. Life in a place where lives often end. Many orphans freeze to death each winter. 


I will never forget this moment. The girl crying in Constantia's arms was just told that she had been selected to live in Stella's House. It was such an honor to witness that moment in this girl's life. 


This is Dingo. She is the most wonderful dog. Albeit, she's a street dog, but she's my Moldovan dog!


A sunset on one of our last evenings there. Even though I came home from this trip exhausted, I left with so much love in my heart. I miss this place so much. It's not magical, it's not even safe, but it holds so much potential for the workings of God and for Him to get all of the glory!

Please check out Stellas Voice for more information on this ministry if you've never heard of it. Every year more and more lives are changed. Orphans becoming children of God, experiencing the love of a Father for the first time, being pulled out of darkness and singing His praises!

No comments:

Post a Comment